A Glimpse At the Personalities of the Spirit Realm
A Study Outline
I. Why is it important to understand the nature of the beings in the spiritual realm?
A. The more we can know and understand God and His nature the more we can worship Him in spirit and truth.
B. All knowledge about God that He desires for us to know is contained in the Scriptures, and we should seek after it. He states that He reveals Himself through the physical things He has made.
“Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God has shown it unto them. For the invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead [Greek theoiotes, Strong 2305 = “divinity”], so that they are without excuse …” (Romans 1:19-20).
II.We can know much about God and His nature by observing the physical creation, for the “template” of that creation originated in the spirit world.
A. Therefore, man, made in Elohim’s image, looks like Elohim in the spirit realm, just like Jesus Christ looks like the Father (John 14:9).
B. The family relationship — of Father, Son, Children, etc. — is a pattern present in the heavenly realm, for that is the design God has placed here on the earth for everyone to see.
C. However, as far as we know, male and female — of man, animals, and plants — are reserved to the physical realm, for Adam was first made flesh and blood as a combined male-female, and the female was taken from him as a separate entity that enabled reproduction to occur.
III. What types of beings are present in the heavenly realm?
A. The Father, the Ancient of Days
1. Revelation 4:2-6. “And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald. And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold. And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God. And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.”
2. Ezekiel 1:26-28. “And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it. And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spoke.”
3. Daniel 7:9-10, 13, 22. “I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came froth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened…. I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him …. … until the Ancient of days came, and judgment was given to the saints of the most High; and the time came that the saints possessed the kingdom.”
4. Psalm 90:2. “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.”
5. Matthew 6:9-15. “But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut the door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly. But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not therefore like unto them: for your Father knows what things you have need of before you ask him. After this manner therefore pray: Our Father which is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil [the evil one]: For Yours is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
B. The Sons of God, Jesus Christ the preeminent One of all, and Satan the adversary
1. Psalm 45:7. “You loved righteousness, and hate wickedness: therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your fellows.”
2. John 1:1-4; 14. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.”
3. Romans 8:29. “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
4. Hebrews 1:3-4. ‘Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; Being made so much better than the angels, as he had by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.”
5. Hebrews 2:9-10. “But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.”
6. Revelation 1:12-16. “And I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and gird about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many water. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shining in its strength.”
7. Revelation 5:5-6. “And one of the elders said unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the book, and to close the seven seals thereof. And I beheld, and lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.”
1. Job 1:6-7. “Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence come you? Then, Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.”
2. Job 2:1-2. “Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence come you? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.”
3. Isaiah 14:12. “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which did weaken the nations!”
4. Revelation 12:7-9. “And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.”
5. Revelation 20:1-3. “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.”
6. I Peter 5:8. “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour:”
Heavenly Council and other Sons of God
1. Psalm 82:1-8. “GOD stands in the congregation of the mighty; he judges among the gods. How long will you judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked. They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course. I have said, You are gods; and all of you are children of the most High. But you shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes. Arise, O God, judge the earth: for You shall inherit all nations.”
Note: Verse 7 says princes, but should be translated Shining Ones.
2. Deuteronomy 32:8-9. “When the Most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel, For the LORD’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.”
Note: Verse 8 says children of Israel, but should be translated Sons of God.
3. Psalm 29:1. “Ascribe to the Lord, O sons of the gods, ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.”
4. Psalm 89:6-7. “For who in the heaven can compare with the Lord? Who among the sons of the mighty [gods] can be likened unto the Lord? God is greatly to be feared in the council of the saints [holy ones], and to be had in reverence of all them that surround Him.”
Note: The words mighty should be translated gods, and saints should be holy ones.
5. Deuteronomy 4:19. “And lest thou lift up your eyes unto heaven, and when you see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, should be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD your God has divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.”
6. Daniel 7:9-14. “I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire. A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened. I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spoke: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame. As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time. I saw in the night visions, and, behold one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.”
Note: There are many thrones in heaven mentioned here.
7. Daniel 8:11. “Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.”
8. Daniel 8:25. “And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.”
9. Genesis 35:7. “And he built there an altar, and called the place Elbethel: because there God appeared unto him, when he fled from the face of his brother.”
Note: The word for God here is Elohim, with a plural verb, so the rendition should be Gods.
10. Job 15:8. “Have you heard the secret of God? and do you restrain wisdom to thyself?”
Note: The first part of this verse should be translated, “Have you listened in the council of God?”
11. Job 15:15. “Behold, he puts no trust in his saints; yea the heavens are not clean in his sight.”
Note: Saints here should be translated holy ones, and heavens should be heavenly ones.
12. Daniel 11:36. “And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that is determined shall be done.”
13. Deuteronomy 32:12. “So the LORD alone did lead him, and there was no strange god with him.”
14. Job 1:6. “Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.”
15. Job 2:1. “Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
16. I Kings 22:19-23. “And he said, Hear you therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shall persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these your prophets, and the LORD has spoken evil concerning you.”
17. Justin Martyr wrote in the Second Century A.D., “But I shall quote the passage by which is made known that God divided all the nations. It is as follows: ‘Ask thy father, and he will show thee; thine eiders, and they will tell thee; when the Most High divided the nations, as He dispersed the sons of Adam. He set the bounds of the nations according to the numbers of the children of Israel; and the Lord’s portion became His people Jacob, and Israel was the lot of His inheritance.’ And having said this, I added: ‘The Seventy have translated it, “He set the bounds of the nations according to the number of the angels of God.”’”
[Some of these sons of God are righteous, and some are not; note Daniel 10:5-13, showing the conflict between the Prince of Persia and Michael, the noted Prince of Israel (Daniel 12:1). Note also the appearance of the son of God in Daniel 10:5-6, which correlates with other references to shining ones in Scripture: Genesis 3:1, (Hebrew hannahash); Ezekiel 28:12 (Hebrew mashah), Isaiah 14:12 (Hebrew helel ), etc.]
1. Romans 8:16-17. “The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.”
2. Hebrews 2:6-8. “But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man that you are mindful of him? or the son of man, that you visit him? You made him a little lower than the angels; you crowned him with glory and honour, and did set him over the works of your hands: You have put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.”
3. Revelation 15:2. “I know your works, and your labour, and your patience, and how you cannot bear them which are evil; and you have tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and have found them liars …”
4. Revelation 19:7-9. “Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he said unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he said unto me, these are the true sayings of God.”
5. Revelation 20:4-6. “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that has part in the first resurrection: on such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”
6. Revelation 21:9-10. “And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will show you the bride, the Lamb’s wife. And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God.”
C. The Angels
1. Righteous angels: Note Daniel 7:10; Hebrews 1:5, 13-14; Revelation 5:11; 7:11-12; all through Revelation 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, and elsewhere.
2. Evil angels (demons or devils): note Matthew 8:28-32; 17:14-18; Mark 1:21-26; etc.
D. The Beasts (Living Creatures)
1. Ezekiel 1:5-24; 10:1-22.
2. Revelation 4:6-9; 5:6-14; 6; 7:11-12; 15:7; etc.
3. These beings appear to be associated mostly, but not exclusively, with the support and mobility of the Father’s throne.
E. The 24 Elders
1. Revelation 4:14, 10-11; 5:8-14; 7:11-12; 11:16-18; 19:4
2. Are these 24 elders equivalent to righteous sons of God?
F. All creatures in heaven and earth: animals, plants, minerals, and all created things (Revelation 5:13; Philippians 2:10).